Thursday, August 11, 2011

America's Unsung Hero

Can you guess who it is? She/he usually brings good news and bad, smiles and frowns, laughter and pain...and most of us don't even know their names. 

Still no guess? How about..."Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds."  Now, I know you all know this one...it's the postman.  Mine is named Chuck.  Yes, I asked.

Today Chuck knocked on my door with his usual smile on his face inspite of the 100+ temperature and handed me a package along with my mail. I told him thank you and have a blessed day.  It's still pretty painful crossing the seventy or so feet to my mailbox by the road because of my toes.

I know you all are about to bust finding out what was in the package.  It was my ARC/Proof of "Who Stole Baby Ruth." For authors is there anything more exciting than holding a copy of your book in print? Nope. I caressed the cover and then slowly opened the first page. I read every word, looked with a discerning eye at the black and white illustrations, and then decided what I wanted to change before I agree to sell it on CreateSpace/Amazon. 

The pictures could be clearer, raise the font to a 14 point instead of twelve. Children get enough eyestrain from school books (today was the first day back  here). I corrected the spacing issues although they were slight.  I will upload this and let the sales begin next week. It takes a few days to dot all the "i's" and cross all the "t's."

CreateSpace is doing something different.  Now instead of having to send for proof after proof when you make changes, they now offer straight to print/sale.  This is a double edged sword. If the copy is wrong and you go straight to print, you reinforce the thought that all self-published books are trash.  On the other hand, if you make changes, order another proof, make more changes, order another proof...you get the picture.  For me, I want to see the first copy coming off the presses. I want to read it from cover to cover and edit it if necessary.  After the first proof then it seems like a waste to order another proof if you've done your job properly. So after I edit this childrens book and upload the changes- I will release it to the public.

Now, getting back to my unsung hero.  Have you had the same mailperson for many years and have no idea who he/she is...go introduce yourself.  Sometimes it makes all the difference in the world.

Keep writing and loving the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.