Friday, April 20, 2012

Frenzied Fridays

Have you ever wanted to run away, duck your head into the sand, or play Scarlet O'Hara (I'll think about it tomorrow)?

It's time for Frenzied Friday here on the Murphey Saga. My backseat method of dealing with life caught up with me once again. Now I'm juggling a bunch as the traditional work week ends. You know all those things like bills you have to mail or pay in person because they aren't open on weekends. The doctor visits (humans and pets) that come up on rotation in my house every couple of months or every month. Included in this is my own personal deadlines for publishing which last year fell into the "best laid plans" category and  not achieved.

It's been seven long years since I took a vacation. I'm talking about a full-fledged vacation where I didn't have to lift a finger, care for anyone else and focus on just me and relaxation. I'm basically frustrated and tired. If you've been following this blog the past year quite a bit has happened in my life. It boggles most people's minds that I haven't run away before now.

Now, I've gone to writer events, book signings, zombie walks, stamp shows, and assorted other things over the past seven years, but there was always business attached to it. I was driving here and there, arranging for meetings, writing, and a long list of other things. Even when my husband's family all had their reunion on Jekyll Island, it was vacation for them...but I was chauffeur, cook, nurse, hostess, and wore about four other hats. I couldn't go swimming or take long walks on the beach because of my broken toes and foot. I was also still performing weddings and writing in between. It seems like there is always some family emergency, this or that event, etc that's why this blog is titled "The Murphey Saga." It's the worst soap opera you've ever watched on television. Reality shows have nothing on my life.

No I'm not complaining. Life is life. With life comes adaptation, but sometimes you just want to fall back and recharge your batteries. I really haven't had the opportunity to do this. When I mentioned me wanting a vacation to my husband the first question he asked was with or without me. He loves me enough to let me go without him. He understands the strain I've been under for years...not that he can do anything about it either. God love this man, he cares and understands.

Yes, going on vacation without my husband would be a good thing because I could do what I wanted and when. I wouldn't have to juggle oxygen and medications, carry an emergency pack with me, and a few hundred other things that encompasses him going with me. The problem is I probably wouldn't be able to relax without him. I would be concerned about what was going on with him with me away. The what-if games that my mind plays which makes me a good writer would still be functioning. I still haven't made a decision yet, but I still plan on taking a vacation probably the latter part of May or the first part of June at least for a few days.

So what would you do?

Keep writing and loving the Lord.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't leave him, but leaving the care of my mother-in-law to someone else wouldn't be a bad thing. Not a bad thing at all. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who only took one vacation in the ten years of taking care of my in-laws I understand. I have pretty much decided to take my beloved with me. So now, I'm updating my emergency jump bag, arranging for oxygen, and the long list of things he'll need.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.