Sunday, March 17, 2013

Sunday Stroke Srvivor~ Life is Like a MasterCard Commerical

I'm Irish by marriage so Happy St. Patrick's Day. Saint Patrick was the Apostle of Ireland and March 17th is the date of his death. He was purported to have driven all the snakes out of Ireland, but that's a myth. Ireland has never had any snakes.Betcha didn't know that!

 As any self respecting Irishman would know. Even I who am Japanese and only Irish in name knows that. I lovingly call my DH (darling hubby) my leprechaun because now he stands five feet tall and he's a magical alien. But that's another story.

On today of all days, while I'm busily preparing cabbage rolls in Guinness gravy,  Colecannon, and chocolate-mint mini cupcakes in the shape of leprechaun hats, I look at another holiday that my stroke forever changed.

Leprechaun hats
Cooking one handed is the pits. I make do, but as a trained chef, like I am, its ridiculous. Sure I have my rocker T knife and now an Ulu, and my cutting board has aluminum nails in it to hold the things I'm cutting, but compared to how I added little touches that added special touches...forget about it. I'm too pressed for time and energy to do it justice.

Savannah St Patrick's Day
I won't be cooking for a crowd again any time soon. It's hard enough cooking for just my husband and myself. All my children make the trek up to Savannah for the parade and the partying. Savannah is a huge St. Patrick's Day town. This year makes the 189th extravaganza and everyone gets involved. Not me, uh uh. I'm smart. I stay as far away as I can. Think of it like Mardi Gras in New Orleans. I'm just and old fuddy-duddy at heart. I have been for decades.

Is it worth all the effort to make corned beef stuffed cabbage roll and Colecannon for just the two of us? Some traditions die hard. The recipes are from my husband's great-great grandmother. That's a lot of years. So many holiday traditions fell by the wayside this year and I couldn't let this one. So yeah, I guess its worth to see the smile on my hubby's face and him roll his eyes back in sheer pleasure at first bite. It makes the now three days of prep time worth it.

That's the thing. Even handicapped by a stroke, some things of your old life are worth learning how to do it again. Granted it may nor be exactly the same process as before., It may take twice as long to accomplish. You might have to use adaptive equipment. But it is doable. But the key is having the heart to do it.

I think that's one of the reasons I recovered some things faster than others. I didn't focus on me. I used my husband's care issues as priorities. I rehabbed with my heart to motivating my brain.

It  sort of reminds me of a MasterCard commercial...
  • Stroke hospital bill $36,000
  • Rehab therapy and splints $9,600
  • Medication to prevent another stroke and treat this one annually $2,400
  • Seeing my husband smile....Priceless
The only thing holding you back is YOU!

8 comments:

  1. Well, I am Irish and I'm thrilled you went to the effort for that smile. Love the Mastercard attitude, Jo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zan Marie,
      I'm the luck of the Irish and Murphy's Law all mixed together. Love those MasterCard commercials.

      Delete
  2. I'm hungry just reading about your feast! Enjoy your meal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lara,
    We did. Since my stroke we have our big meal at noon and something light for supper. I run out of energy by late afternoon. It didn't turn out as good as I hoped but DH loves it especially the chocolate mint cake pops. He's eaten four of them already.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A chef too? You are a woman of many talents! Loved the MasterCard reference too (the commercials are cute!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra,
      Yep a chef too. I've got more sheepskins than anymore has a right too.

      Delete
  5. Frank Sinatra's singing "That's Life!" always comes to mind went I think of my careers...I too have been a chef, a marketing department coordinator, a XXX movie graphic artist (don't ask! The pay was great!), a bank teller, a technical writer, a disc jockey, I hot walked and groomed race horses and dressage horses and now I am a barn manager and a semi retired writer wanna be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra,
      I didn't know you were a chef too!For the intro of my new book I use the Americanized version of "Butcher, baker,Tailorman..." found here ) http://jomurphey.blogspot.com/2012/09/news-and-excerpt.html ) Frank Sinatra's song fits me too.to explain some of the jobs I've held and the tip of the iceberg for my careers.

      Delete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.