Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Wednesday Writerly Way~ What's Age Got to Do with Writing?

No, this isn't me!
I've used a lot of derogatory terms on this blog about my age...old fart, old lady, not even a fall hen, and a few more. I've spent my youth and younger years, working, raising my children, and everything else to able to do what I want to do in my "waning" years. Each year is my best year yet.

While it would be nice to time travel and go back and correct past mistakes, it would only work if I could go back having my current knowledge.

My favorite saying is, "I ain't dead yet" and it's true. Every day I learn, or relearn new stuff and it's all grist for the writing mill.  The more opinions, experiences, and research I do to write makes me a better writer. So why have I been taking hits of late because I'm older? See yesterday's blog for one.

Bertrice Small
Somehow, I couldn't possibly relate to a younger generation. In life the more things that change; the more they stay the same. Bertrice Small has got me beat by a decade or more. She still writes and gardens, and she's not the only one. This is not to say that much younger writers can't write. They can and very well.
Shameless plug

But with age comes a maturity level in writing. Did that stop me from writing as a child as in my novel, The Sacrificial Lamb, nope. I can do that. I can remember what it was like or look at my granddaughters. To get perspective on that age. I can mentally transport myself into that period of time in my own life to make it real. An eleven-year old would be hard pressured to write this novel.

In writing I can be whatever age I want to be because I've lived it. Many younger authors would be hard pressed to write as a sixty-year old unless they were retelling a story from that aged person. They just have no experience or knowledge to work from. But they will given time. See there are advantages of being an older writer.

Yeah, this is me
Age is an annual thing for accounting purposes. Some days I feel 110 years old but others more like 10 years old tops. That's what is important in writing.

So how old do you feel today?

Keep writing and loving the Lord.

3 comments:

  1. I started noticing a few years ago that young people (ie 15 to 25 year olds) were starting to look like little kids to me! That's a major sign...
    And the other day my nephew, listening to his parents tell a story, said "what's a VCR?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Deniz - anyone under thirty looks like a kid to me.
    Age does bring more knowledge and experience. I was better equipped to write my novels now than I was thirty years ago. No wonder that first draft of CassaStar was awful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. In writing we can be whatever we want to be.

    You're so right!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.