Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Redefining Disability Project: Post #19

http://rosebfischer.com/2014/07/01/redefining-disability-an-interactive-blogging-project/
It's Tuesday. Time again to answer another question.
In what other ways are your interpersonal relationships affected by disabilities?

It's hard to tell. I've always been a social being even post stroke. All I need to be that person again is someone willing to listen and have the patience to wait while I find the right word. But then again, I'm more or less housebound with my husband these days too.

Having aphasia due to my stroke can be very limiting. Although after almost three years, it is way more better than when I first had my stroke and lost my power of speech. Most people in passing don't realize I have a problem at all. But it's the in depth conversations that another person will realize that something is not quite right. Because the longer I talk the more distractions pop into my mind and I forget what I was talking about and there can be some pretty long pauses.

Someone asked me how I write this blog with my impaired grammar and spelling skills. My answer was, "Very slowly and a lot of time." It's true. I just keep punching the keys on my keyboard. Misspellings will have squiggly lines under them in red. Grammar has green. I'll go back and fix those first. Then I will reorganize my thoughts so it reads (even to my dyslexic mind) like I'm making my point or supporting what I am talking about. It may mean deleting or moving sentences around. I may read through a single post ten times before I publish it and still there are errors.My biggest problem while typing is word omission. These things happen when I speak too.

So of my friends who email me, thank you. For the support by readers of this blog, double thank you.
Found this on my FaceBook feed

I'm very slowly making my way back through grade school grammar and spelling. I'll get there one day back to being an author. Aphasia is no fun at all. I compare it beginning Alzheimer's a lot because you are forgetting and know you are forgetting.My brain is telling me it's wrong now so that's a start. Even when speaking, I now realize I'm saying the right or wrong word...to a point.

So it's not only my physical disabilities that hamper my interpersonal relationships but the workings between my brain and my mouth. That can be a handful for the other person to handle as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Agree, Disagree, Indifferent...no matter. Even if it's to say you were here.